By Mark V. Lonsdale
While the purpose of sport and athletic activity is to make better people, not just champions, there have been many greats in shooting. As with any endeavor, there is a simple but difficult road to greatness in shooting sports. Simple because there are only a few things the athlete needs to know, but difficult because of the blood, sweat, and tears it takes to truly master these simple truths.
So here is the easy part:
- Find inspiration in the achievements of those who have gone before you
- Make the commitment to your chosen activity or sport
- Set goals that are a series of attainable steps
- Study the skill sets required for any given activity
- Become brilliant at the basics and work to master the fundamentals
- Enjoy your achievements but, more importantly, learn from your losses and mistakes
- Work every day to improve your performance, fitness, stamina, and strength
Now the difficult part: Follow the above plan four to six days a week for at least two to four years to enter the world of the elite athlete and the elite shooter.